Every other taxi driver going from the centre to the airport overprices his fare - you may be charged up to five thousand crowns
The Foreign Police, together with officers of the Municipal Government and a team of Municipal Police, have been checking taxi vehicles at Ruzyne since the middle of January. Since that time, the police have checked 774 vehicles. They have imposed 255 fines on the spot amounting to nearly 133,000 CZK. Another 78 taxi drivers were handed over to legal proceedings. Such legal proceedings may lead to much higher fines than are imposed on site.
The prices charged by some Prague taxi drivers are notorious. According to the price scale suggested by the Municipal Government, a taxi ride from Prague city centre to the airport should cost approximately 600 CZK. Some taxi drivers charge much higher prices, however, up to 5,000 CZK according to some sources. Foreign guidebooks warn tourists against this vice.
From January until the end of August 2010, approximately 506,000 passengers used a taxi from the airport; the Foreign Police checked approximately 0.15 percent.
source: Czech press - AUGUST 2010
• Don't get into a taxi that is parked in front of the train station or at a tourist site. These are waiting for unsuspecting tourists and are known to charge rates several times higher than they should be.
• If you need to catch a taxi on the street, make sure it is a genuine registered taxi. The yellow roof light must be permanently installed and must say ‘TAXI’ in black letters on both sides. The company name, licence number and rates should be printed on both front doors.
• Try to find out beforehand how much your ride should cost. If you're stopping a taxi on the street, you can ask the driver before getting in and even pay in advance if the amount sounds reasonable. If you're ordering a taxi by phone (always a good idea), you can get a price estimate from the dispatcher.
• Once in the car, make sure that the rate on the taxi’s meter corresponds to the price list posted in the car. If it doesn't, bring it to the driver's attention or have him stop the car and get out.
• You have the right to request a printed receipt from the driver. If he refuses to give it to you, you can refuse to pay the taxi fare.